Wednesday, December 26, 2007

How to Pass the IELTS Exam - Speaking Part

Thanks to my english students who are nurses, I can now share tips on how to succeed in IELTS. I actually learned a lot from them during the time they sought assistance while reviewing for this exam. Based from my observation, the writing, listening or reading parts are no problem areas. It is in the speaking part where they usually get low marks and hence, are forced to retake the test. Quite expensive!

So I figured, to all the other IETLS examinees out there, here are my tips to get that high score:

1. Prepare. There are lots of review centers that offer trainings, handouts and mock interviews. I suggest you acquire copies of those reviewers to get the feel of the questions that may be asked.
2. Hear yourself talk. Read out loud. Practice speaking and thinking in English. Ask your peers or relatives to talk to you face to face. Or if that's not possible, go and buy a Sun Sim, unlimited talking for you from sunrise to sundown, right?
3. Enunciate. I notice that we are sometimes conscious to pronounce 'th' in the, or f, v, z sounds. Pronounce these words slowly for emphasis.

4. Speak from actual experience. As much as possible, avoid making up stories. Be honest.
5. Before taking the exam, Relax! Then, face the interviewer with ease and confidence. Avoid too much hand gestures and maintain that eye contact.

And also, these are the usual warm up questions:
1. Describe yourself.
2. Tell me more about your hometown.
3. What are your hobbies?
4. Do you enjoy shopping? Why?

5. Why do you think email is important nowadays?
... and just about anything under the sun!

Sometimes I wonder why Filipino nurses are NOW required to pass IELTS before they can work abroad. I believe we are good in English already. Money-generating scheme perhaps? Maybe. Anyway, I hope this helps.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for such a nice post to see like this ...I really enjoyed visiting such a nice and relevant information.keep updated in the same way about the format of Exams.Regards,Sanya Communication skills